Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Memory Quilt...

So, I know I am safe to post this... mom isn't on the "blog scene" very much, if at all...
This is her Christmas gift... em and my "sisters" (sisters-in-law, really... I have ALL brothers...) put together...
Let me explain..
In October, mom, dad, Kevin & Randee, went on a little trip to Yellowstone. While there, it was cold and rainy, and thus, icy. They took a little drive and soon came upon a woman, waving them down in the middle of the road. As mom was trying to slide to a stop, Kev jumped out of the car; there were two vehicles upside down in the river. He helped people out of their vehicles and up the steep river bank. Dad was up the road stopping on coming vehicles, and mom and Randee were wrapping what blankets thery had around those who were coming out of the freezing water. When the people were transported to the hospital, the blankets went with, one was a memory quilt that mom made for Christmas a couple of years age. She made one for each of us, and one for her.
The idea behind the memory quilt, is to find patterned fabrics that represent memories. She called all of our spouses parents to get some memories, and added to our own, and made the quilts. On the quilt that she made, there is a square with kids in capes, I think we all loved to pretend to be superheroes at one point in time; cherries, for grandpa and grandma's cherry tree we loved to climb and eat cherries from; Elvis, that's for me! A Christmas square to represent Christmas our individual memories; a soccer square for Randee; peppers for mom and dad's salsa making ventures; Strawberry Shortcake, me, again, well, granddaughters now too... so you get the idea?
We made her one to try and replace the one she lost. We made it with a twist though... the grandchildren drew a picture on some of the squares of something they love to do with grammy... and what fabric I could find, was incorporated in it. I know mom did some major hunting... I had a hard time finding more than I did.

7 comments:

Randee Mayes said...

That turned out so good!!! She will absolutely love it!!!! Thanks for doing it, I really felt bad when those folks took the quilts with them.

BookwormMom said...

I'm glad you were able to get it finished..it turned out great!

Jenny said...

This is so special! I am sure she will love it!

The Anderson's said...

What a neat gift for your mom! I know she will enjoy it.

Ally0005 said...

Love it!!
Which reminds me. While I was waiting to bring Alana home I started doing The 100 Good Wishes Quilt. The 100 Good Wishes Quilt is to welcome and celebrate a new life. It is customary to invite friends and family to contribute a patch of cloth and a wish for the baby. Part of the patch of cloth is sewn into the quilt for the baby, and the other part of the cloth goes into a scrapbook with the wish for the child. The quilt contains the blessings from all the families and friends who contributed a piece of fabric.
I hate to say it but I never put that quilt together. Thanks for giving me the reminder that I need to find someone to put it together for me.

Promise said...

Min...that is perfect! I love it..she is going to be so excited!

Bonnie said...

Such a beautiful gift!!!