Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Eclair Cake..


 I am a lover of all that is sweet.
I am also a lover of Eclairs.  My mom has been making them for as long as I can remember.  There are people in my old neighborhood, who would do ANYTHING if my mom's eclairs were promised.
Now, I don't know how authentic they are..  but I do know how authentically delicious they are.
The only problem with an Eclair is that it has the tendency to explode on you.
That is where this recipe is awesome.
No unexpected explosions.

Cream puff:

1 cup water
1/2 cup margarine or butter (I have used both)
1/8 tsp. salt
1 cup flour
4 eggs

Bring water, butter, and salt to a boil.  Add flour all at once, while stirring vigorously over heat.  Continue stirring until mixture forms a ball.  Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes.  If you do not let it cool long enough, in the next step you'll end up with scrambled eggs in your crust, instead of the nice air pockets..  just be patient.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Spread into a greased 9x13 pan, and bake at 425 for 15 minutes.  Reduce heat to 350 and bake for an additional 15 minutes.  It is done when the tops are golden, and it makes a hollow sound when it is tapped on with fingertips.
Let this part cool well.

Filling:

1 large box of INSTANT vanilla pudding
2 cups of milk
1 8 oz. bar of cream cheese

Prepare pudding using two cups of milk, and set aside.
In another, larger bowl, beat the cream cheese until well softened.  Add the pudding to the cream cheese, 1/4 -1/3 at a time, mixing well between each addition of pudding so the mixture is smooth, not lumpy.  Spread this over the top of the cooled cream puff crust.  Top it with your favorite whipped topping and drizzle with chocolate syrup.
Cut, serve, and enjoy some Eclair yumminess without explosions!

3 comments:

Julie said...

That looks delicious.

BookwormMom said...

Yum, Yum...eclairs are one of my favorite treats!

I am definitely going to have to try your recipe soon....

Bonnie said...

ooooh! Brilliant!